small blue flowers

Thursday

no gala


What have Pulp Fiction and Days of Thunder got in common? On the face of it nothing, on the seedy underbelly, probably not much either, but if you look at the soundtracks they both have a track by former Lone Justice frontwoman Maria McKee on them.

So, I'm going to use this month's theme (films, if you hadn't guessed) to let off some steam about something that bugs me. It shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but then that probably goes the same for 99% of people on this planet. So, what is it that bugs me? It's that one of my favourite artists, Maria McKee, is barely known outside of her two songs that have been on film soundtracks.
If you head over to Last FM you'll see that her two most listened to tracks by the members of Last.fm are Show Me Heaven from Days of Thunder and If Love is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags) from the superb Pulp Fiction. Actually, it does redeem some small amount of my faith in human nature that the Pulp Fiction track is listened to much more (and that Show me Heaven is also on a 'womans' compilation).

Now they're both good songs (although nowhere near her best), and it stands to reason that film soundtracks may well sell more widely than Maria McKee's solo records, but why oh why hasn't the film exposure led to more album sales, greater recognition, riches beyond her wildest dreams? Maybe I'm being naive and the films have improved her career - without them she would be busking on the streets, destitute and on the verge of having to sell her guitar. But genuinely, I don't believe that. Maybe the royalties from the film soundtracks have given her enough money to keep on going, to do what she really wants to do, so in writing this I'm being ungrateful. Nope, I'm greedy, well greedy for Maria, and I think more people should be listening to her music. I suspect she agrees with me.

This of course brings up the wider question of what impact does having a successful track on the soundtrack to a successful film have on the career of an artist. Now, I may be wrong, but Bryan Adams' credibility dived after 'that song' despite the enormous success of both film (Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves) and single. You could even argue that Prince's career went into decline (with minor peaks following) after the Batman soundtrack which I've recently been listening to (or trying to). I loved it when it came out, can't anymore. Dare I mention Gary Jules' cover of Mad World from Donnie Darko? What happened to him, where has he disappeared to?(his website says he's just released a new album which I am now unwittingly promoting) Limp Bizkit...Mission Impossible 2. bleurghhhh. why?

So, sure, being on a film soundtrack, or even producing a complete one, isn't a recipe for stardom, but when you have an artist of the quality and integrity of Maria McKee you'd hope some people would at least look a little deeper.

Look a little deeper you saint
mp3: No Gala {High Dive}
mp3: Absolutely Barking Stars {Life is Sweet}
mp3: I'm Gonna Soothe You {You Gotta Sin To Get Saved}

Skim the surface you *&!%$£
mp3: If Love is a Red Dress (Hang Me In Rags) {Live in Bremen 2003}

YouTube: Show Me Heaven

Buy: Pulp Fiction (CD/DVD) Days of Thunder (CD/DVD) Donnie Darko (CD/DVD) Batman(CD/DVD)

picture by Cabaret Voltaire

Technorati Tags:, , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home